Sunday, March 16, 2014

That Time of Year.

When I started this blog a little over a month ago I had intended to update it at least once a week. The problem with this is that I started the blog in the worst possible time of the year, testing time. The last three weeks I have spent countless hour of training on PARCC and CMAS. I  had to endure 13 hour days to attend "ethics" training on how to administer the TCAP. The irony of those trainings is that the test is probably the least ethical from an educational standpoint. This last week was the worse. This was the week the test actually had to be administered. It was a week of long drawn out days in which I questioned my decision to stay in education. I felt I was in this rut and I felt all the misery of staff and students were feeling. I felt like my brain wasn't being challenged and frankly from the looks of everyone else it seemed the same. I knew I had to do something to get out of this rut. Well, I found something.

During one of my breaks from proctoring I was looking at Google Plus and I found that Google was offering a free course. I opened up the link and found out it was a course on data analysis. At first I was very hesitant because I was concerned that it would have a bunch of prerequisites. I was so relieved to see this was a beginner course and the only real perquisite was the use of google spreadsheets. This made me so excited because I knew I was going to get to learn something new. The course is self paced and I get to show my knowledge by a project as the end. This made me so excited. I know the course will be some work and that its going to take time but it reminds me what I got into education. I got into education because I love to learn. I feel the last few weeks that I have forgotten this but this course is reigniting my spirit.

I am not really sure the points I am trying to make in this post but I want to make a suggestion to all the students,administrators,educators,staff,district personal and everyone else out there. I suggest you try to remember why you got into education. If it was to make a difference just take a minute to see the smiles of the kids entering your classroom. If it was to be a role model then try to have a happy demeanor during these hard times. It's times like this that people in education must find a way to rejuvenate themselves in order to make a difference. I was able to by finding a free course and I suggest everyone else try to find their energy in something as well.

PS: The course is linked here